· #android · #coding · #techtalk
In Singapore, Comfort Cab, CitiCab & SMRT offer taxi booking services by SMS. To book a cab, one has to text either
BOOK <Postal Code> #Pick-up point or
BOOK <Building Name> #Pick-up point to their respective booking hotline number.
But it can be a chore to remember addresses and to type out the booking SMS messages. Not to mention having to remember hotline number for each operator when you are out in the rain searching madly for a cab!
To help with this problem, I wrote an Android application called Cabbie in late 2009. Over the course of the next year, Cabbie got downloaded thousands of times, garnered a 4.5/5 star average user rating and went on to be ranked #32 in the Straits Times Digital Life Top 100 apps of 2010!
Looking at the enthusiatic response that Cabbie received, I set about working on a new version. The result is Cabbie Pro: an improvement over Cabbie in every single way!
- SMRT Taxis support.
- Change Sort menu icon.
- Allow sorting of the list of locations either alphabetically or by last modified/booked time.
- Updated Info screen with more booking hotline numbers & new design.
- SMS Search responses no longer reach the Messaging Inbox.
- Relax length limit on pickup point.
- Fix an error notification bug.
- Completely revamped UI compared to old Cabbie.
- New (more reliable) ways of finding addresses.
- Hi-res icons for different phone screen sizes.
- Dozens of user-interaction refinements.
- Compatible with Android 1.6 – 2.3